The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler :: School of Medical Biological Sciences
Applications for the 2014 Fall Semester are no longer being accepted.
Applications for the 2015 Fall Semester will be accepted starting December 2014.
Click here to request more information
or click here to begin the application process now!
Be sure to watch our video below!
The School of Medical Biological Sciences provides high-quality instruction to students at the graduate level using a hands-on learning approach with emphasis on critical thinking and innovation. The School is also committed to improving scientific knowledge in a broad spectrum of biomedical sciences through our research and scholarly activities, and to disseminate that knowledge to our students, colleagues and the community at large. Through the Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, a unit within the School of Medical Biological Sciences, students may earn a master of science in biotechnology degree.
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology:
The Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, through the Master of Science in Biotechnology Program, prepares graduates to enter professions in Biotechnology, doctoral programs, medical school, and related scientific fields. It is the aim of the Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology to help students achieve excellence in science and education as a result of creative traditional and non-traditional instructional methods, state-of-the-art technology, and innovative research.
Master of Science in Biotechnology:
The Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology’s MS in Biotechnology Graduate Program provides students with marketable skills and qualifications for work in a high-tech industry, as well as the academic foundation necessary to pursue further medical and professional studies.
- Have mastered the techniques of modern biotechnology.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of biological and biochemical systems to enable graduates to adapt to emerging technologies in the field of biotechnology.
- Be a valuable asset to industry and other organizations requiring biotechnology expertise.
- Attain a level of professional integrity and competency integral to biotechnology research, commerce, and ethics.
- Be prepared for careers in the biotechnology industry or for continuation of their education in a Ph.D. or M.D. program.
- Have developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Have honed their ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Be computer literate.
- The student will demonstrate English communication skills in both oral and written forms.
- The student will demonstrate mastery of basic and advanced biotechnology methods.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to safely operate basic and advanced laboratory equipment, analytic devices and computers.
- The student will demonstrate independent and critical thinking skills integrated with the ability to utilize multiple informational resources.
- The student will explain the principles, mechanisms and interrelatedness of both in vivo and in vitro biochemical, molecular biological and genetic processes.