30th Anniversary Celebration: XXX-Out Cancer

UTHCT Timeline


History of UT Health Northeast

1947
Receives its charter from the 50th Texas Legislature as the East Texas Tuberculosis Sanatorium.

1949
Begins taking care of the first group of patients with tuberculosis.

1951
The 52nd Texas Legislature renames it the East Texas Tuberculosis Hospital.

1957
Six-floor, 320-bed hospital tower opens after two years of construction.

1964
George Hurst, MD, is named clinical director of the hospital.

1969
61st Texas Legislature gives the hospital authority to develop pilot health care programs for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. An outpatient clinic is organized.1970 Dr. Hurst becomes director of the hospital.

1971
The 62nd Texas Legislature changes the name to the East Texas Chest Hospital and designates it the primary referral facility in Texas for patient care, education, and research into diseases of the chest.

1976
$17.3 million in state funds is authorized to expand and renovate the facility.

1977
The 65th Texas Legislature transfers control of the hospital from the Texas Board of Health to the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System. The regents christen it UT Health Northeast.

1980
The six-floor patient care annex is completed and open for business, while the first three floors of the older hospital tower are remodeled to house patient care support activities.

1983
UT Health Northeast physicians perform the first open heart surgery in East Texas. Allen B. Cohen, MD, a nationally known pulmonologist and lung disease researcher, is named executive associate director of UT Health Northeast. His charge is to recruit a distinguished scientific team who will conduct both basic and clinical research into lung diseases.

1984
The Watson W. Wise Medical Research Library is dedicated, the only medical research library in East Texas.

1985
The Family Practice Residency Program begins, admitting six physicians. It is the first graduate training program in East Texas. UT Health Northeast is designated as a national Cystic Fibrosis Satellite Center.

1986
UT Health Northeast receives more that $3.5 million in research dollars and is the leading research institution in East Texas.

1987
The $9 million, 71,000-square-foot Center for Biomedical Research is completed.

1995
An Occupational Medicine Residency Program is approved. UT Health Northeast and Stephen F. Austin State University partner to offer master’s degrees in environmental science and biotechnology.

1996
The four-story Ambulatory Care Center is completed, with the first two floors finished and the top two floors left unfinished for future expansion.

1998
The first UT Health Northeast president is appointed: Ronald F. Garvey, MD, MBA

2002
Kirk A. Calhoun, MD, is named president of UT Health Northeast by The UT System Board of Regents.

2003
The 78th Texas Legislature names UT Health Northeast the East Texas Center for Rural Geriatric Studies, allowing it to develop the Center for Healthy Aging and apply for government grants to fund research into the aging process. The Pharmacy Residency Program begins.

2004
The $2.2 million Public Health Laboratory of East Texas, a joint project of UT Health Northeast and the Texas Department of Health, opens on the UT Health Northeast campus. Because of special safety and security features, the lab is able to study microbes such as West Nile virus. Research funding, much of it from the National Institutes of Health, exceeds $10 million for the first time.

2005
The new, $11.3 million wing of the Center for Biomedical Research opens, adding 30,000 feet of lab and office space to the existing building. The 79th Texas Legislature authorizes UT Health Northeast to award academic degrees. UT Health Northeast helps provide health care for thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees who sought refuge in Tyler. UT Health Northeast receives a $7.8 million, five-year NIH grant to study lung scarring, the largest government-funded grant in the history of UT Health Northeast.

2006
UT Health Northeast is named a "Nurse-Friendly®" hospital by the Texas Nurses Association, one of just 31 hospitals in Texas to achieve this distinction. In addition, UT Health Northeast is one of only 118 hospitals in the nation to be recognized for its care of cardiac and stroke patients by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s "Get with the Guidelines" program. Pierre Neuenschwander, Ph.D., associate professor of biochemistry, discovers how a crucial part of the blood-clotting process works. His work could lead to new treatments to prevent excessive bleeding or clotting. An all-digital cardiovascular and interventional imaging system is installed, allowing UT Health Northeast physicians to clearly see the structure of the heart, as well as blood vessels throughout the body, even the tiny vessels that carry blood to the fingertips.

2007
The Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention, and Education on the UT Health Northeast campus received a $5.44 million, five-year federal grant from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. In research, T. Howard Stone, JD, LLM, associate professor of bioethics, received a $1.757 million, four-year NIH grant to study the legal and ethical ramifications of using genetic information about drug addiction in the criminal justice system. This is the first project of this type funded by NIH. In education, NIOSH awarded UT Health Northeast a three-year, $444,000 grant to train occupational medicine residents in agricultural and rural occupational health issues is designed to fill that gap in knowledge and experience. Several UT Health Northeast faculty and staff helped develop a new Web-based curriculum to promote safe health care prepared on behalf of the Texas Medical Association.

NOTICE: Protected health information is subject to electronic disclosure.