UT Health Center to hold free Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Day on Saturday, March 3
Thursday, March 1, 2007
“Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Day 2007” will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, March 3, at the Center for Biomedical Research at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, 11937 U.S. Highway 271 in Tyler.
Families and friends of patients with cystic fibrosis, community members, teachers, and health care workers are encouraged to attend this free event and learn more about the disease. It is recommended that patients with CF not attend, because of the possibility of transmitting multidrug-resistant microbes between patients.
Seminar topics and their presenters will be:
- “Cystic Fibrosis Overview,” Rodolfo Amaro, MD, director, Cystic Fibrosis Center, associate professor of pediatrics, UTHSCT;
- “Living with Cystic Fibrosis,” Susan Burroughs, CPA;
- “Genetics and Cystic Fibrosis,” Kari Casas, MD;
- “Towards a Normal Life: Adult Care in CF,” Varsha Taskar, MD, assistant professor of medicine;
- “Diabetes and Cystic Fibrosis,” Luis Casas, MD;
- “Advances in Cystic Fibrosis,” Susan Barrows, MD, assistant professor of pediatrics, UTHSCT; and
- “50 Years of Cystic Fibrosis,” Bettina Hilman, MD, former director of UTHSCT’s Cystic Fibrosis Center.
There will be a question and answer session after the presentations.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided by SourceCF, Exceptional Home Care, and Nestle Nutrition. To reserve a place at the event, call (903) 877-5122.