Camp Fannin Association to hold service at veterans memorial at UTHSCT on Saturday, April 12

Monday, April 7, 2008

The Camp Fannin Association will hold a commemorative program at the Camp Fannin Veterans Memorial on the grounds of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler at noon Saturday, April 12.

The public is invited to attend the program, which will include the dedication of memorial benches donated by local individuals and organizations.

One bench honors members of Disabled American Veterans, and the second honors veterans of the Battle of the Bulge. Several of the bench inscriptions are in memory of, or in honor of, World War II veterans who trained at Camp Fannin.

The program will include a presentation by Roger Secrest of Dallas, who was in the first training cycle at Camp Fannin U. S. Army Infantry Replacement Training Center, and Dave Wendt of Tyler, who was in the final training cycle.

Camp Fannin opened in March 1943 and began training troops the following May. The final training cycle was completed in December 1946. It is estimated that 150,000 men were trained at the camp during World War II.

The Camp Fannin Association is a Tyler-based nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the history and legacy of Camp Fannin. The memorial is dedicated to all those who served in the five branches of service during World War II.

For more information, call John Anderson of the association at (903) 877-5895.

NOTICE: Protected health information is subject to electronic disclosure.