Flu shots offered at UTHSCT campus and clinics; no appointment necessary
Friday, October 21, 2011Finally, the days are growing cooler, which means it’s time again for your annual flu shot.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler currently is offering flu shots at its main campus and offsite clinics from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. No appointment is necessary to get a flu shot, and you don’t have to be a UTHSCT patient.
The cash-only cost of a flu shot is $25, and there is no cost for individuals covered by Medicare who bring their Medicare cards. UTHSCT also accepts Medicaid and most commercial insurance plans.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that everyone older than 6 months of age should get a flu shot. People who have a higher risk of developing serious complications from the flu are:
- children aged 6 months to 19 years
- pregnant women
- people 50 years of age and older
- anyone with a chronic medical condition
- residents of nursing homes or long-term care facilities
- people who live with or take care of those at high risk for complications from the flu. These include health care workers and caregivers of children less than 5 years old, especially those who care for children less than 6 months old.
Flu shots are available at:
- The Riter Center on the UTHSCT campus, at the intersection of U.S. 271 and Texas 155. Phone: (903) 877-HOPE.
- University Health Clinic, 3310 Patriot Dr., Tyler. Phone: (903) 939-7870
- UT Physicians of Gladewater, 112 W. Lee St., Gladewater. Phone: (903) 845-4398
- UT Physicians of Overton, 102 W. Henderson St., Overton. Phone: (903) 834-0201