Idell, Steven, M.D., Ph.D.
Vice President for Research
Temple Univ. School of Medicine, M.D., 1977
Temple Univ. School of Medicine, Ph.D., 1978
- Sept 1986-Sept 1991 Recipient, Clinical Investigator Award K08HL01603, National Institutes of Health N.H.L.B.I.
- Sept 1996-Present Appointed Chair Holder, Temple Chair in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. The first endowed chair at UT Health Northeast.
- Jan 1995-Dec 1998 Appointed Associate Editor, American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cell and Molecular Physiology.
- April 1997-Aug 1998 Appointed to Editorial Board, The American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology.
Coagulation, Fibrinolysis, Regulation of Gene Expression, Acute and Chronic Lung Injury, Pleural Injury, Lung and Pleural Neoplasia.
- Control of the fibrin turnover in pleural disease.
- Determination of mechanisms that regulate expression of tissue factor and tissue factor pathway inhibitors in lung and pleural disease.
- Posttranscriptional regulation of the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1).
Current Grant Support:
- NIH R01 HL 076206 - Urokinase, Neutrophil Activation and Acute Lung Injury.
- NIH PO1 HL 076406 - Fibrinolytic Pathways in Lung Injury and Repair.
- NIH RO1 HL 71147 - Regulation of Lung Epithelial Fibrinolysis.
- FAMRI - PAI-1 and Airway Remodeling in Passive Smoke Exposure.
Extravascular fibrin deposition accompanies diverse types of tissue injury and neoplasia. In the setting of acute and chronic lung injury, the fibrin gel forms a transitional matrix that undergoes remodeling associated with invasion by inflammatory cells and fibroblasts. These cells express procoagulants and fibrinolysins that govern the transformation of the transitional fibrin gel into fibrotic tissue. A similar process accounts for the desmolastic response that surrounds various tumors, including lung cancers and malignant mesothelioma. Tumors also invade host tissues via remodeling of the transitional fibrin gel.
We have been, and remain interested in the elucidation of how pathways of fibrin deposition; coagulation and fibrinolysis influence the course of acute and chronic lung injuries. More recently, we have also studied the role of these processes in the pathogenesis of malignant mesothelioma. We are currently studying how expression of various fibrinolysins, procoagulants and their inhibitors are regulated at the posttranscriptional level and how these molecules influence cellular function via signaling mechanisms.
Selected Papers and Abstracts:
- Shetty S, Shetty P, Idell S, Velusamy T, Bhandary YP, Shetty R.S. Regulation of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 by tumor suppressor protein p53. J Biol Chem. 283(28):19570-80, 2008.
- Idell S. The Pathogenesis of Pleural Space Loculation and Fibrosis. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 14(4):310-5, 2008.
- Liu M, Yasuda, Idell S. Sulfation of Nitrotyrosine: Biochemistry and Functional Implications. IUBMB Life 59 (10): 622-7, 2007.
- Idell S, Azghani A, Chen S, Koenig K, Mazar A, Kodandapani L, Bdeir, K, Cines D, Kulikovskaya I, Allen T. Intrapleural Low-Molecular-Weight Urokinase or Tissue Plasminogen Activator Versus Single Chain Urokinase in Tetracycline-induced Pleural Loculation in Rabbits. Exp Lung Res, 33: 419-440, 2007.
- Idell S. Expression Profiling and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation: Finding Genes Gone Wild. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 176 (6): 528-30, 2007.
- Iakhiaev A, Rezaie AR, Idell S. Thrombomodulin-mediated catabolism of protein C by pleural mesothelial cells and vascular endothelial cells. Thromb. Haemost 98(3): 627-634, 2007.
- Shetty S, Velusamy T, Idell S, Shetty P, Mazar AP, Bhandary YP, Shetty RS. Regulation of Urokinase Receptor Expression by p53: Novel Role in Stabilization of uPAR mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 27(16):5607-18, 2007.
- Yasuda S, Idell S, Fu J, Carter G, Snow R, Liu MC. Cigarette Smoke Toxicants as Substrates and Inhibitors for Human Cytosolic SULTs. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 221(1):13-20. 2007. Epub Feb 28, 2007.
- Iakhiaev A, Nalian A, Koenig K, Idell S. Thrombin-thrombomodulin inhibits prourokinase-mediated pleural mesothelial cell-dependent fibrinolysis. Thrombosis Research 120 (5): 715-25, 2007.
- Yasuda, S, Idell S, Liu MC. Generation and release of Nitrotyrosine O-Sulfate by HepG2 Hepatoma Cells Upon SIN-1 Stimulation: Identification of SULT1A3 as the Responsible Enzyme. Biochem J 401: 497-503 2007.
- Shetty S, Velusamy T, Idell S, Tang H, Shetty PK. Regulation of Urokinase Receptor Expression by Protein Tyrosine Phosphatases. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 292(2):L414-21, 2007.
- Shetty S, Idell S. Urokinase-Urokinase-Receptor-mediated Signaling in Cancer. Apoptosis, Cellular Signaling and Human Disease: Molecular Mechanisms. S. Srivasatva, ed. Vol 2: 167-180. Humana Press, 2007.
- Idell S, Allen T, Chen S, Koenig K, Mazar A, Azghani A. Intrapleural Activation, Processing, Efficacy, and Duration of Protection of Single-Chain Urokinase in Evolving Tetracycline-induced Pleural Injury in Rabbits. Am J Physiol: Lung Cell Mol Physiol 192: L25-32, 2007.
- Idell S. Single Chain Urokinase and the Search for More Effective Intrapleural Fibrinolysins. International Pleural Newsletter 4(4): 17-18, 2006.
- Idell S, John, Joseph . Pleural Diseases. Medical Knowledge Self Assessment Plan 14 (MKSAP 14) Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. American College of Physicians. 2006.
- Kwak SH, Wang XQ, HeQ, Fang WF, Mitra S Bdeir K, Ploplis VA, Xu Z, Idell S, Cines D, Abraham E. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 potentiates LPS-induced neutrophil activation through a JNK-mediated pathway. Thromb Haemost. 95 (5):829-35, 2006.
- John, J and Idell S. Acute severe asthma. Emerg Med. 38 (4): 20-32, 2006.
- Iakhiaev A, Idell S. Activation and degradation of protein C by primary rabbit pleural mesothelial cells. Lung. 184 (2): 81-88, 2006.
- Welty-Wolf KE, Carraway MS, Ortel TL, Ghio AJ, Idell S, Egan J , Zhu X, Jiao JA, Piantadosi CA. Blockade of Tissue Factor-Factor X Binding Attenuates Sepsis-induced Respiratory and Renal Failure. Am J Physiol: Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 290 (1): L21-L31, 2006.