Starcher, Barry, Ph.D.
Elastin, Extracellular Matrix, Growth Factors, UVB & Skin Tumors.
Our studies focus on elastin and the use of desmosine to quantitate pathophysiological changes that occur in the elastin fiber in response to disease and injury. We are also interested in the role of the extracellular matrix in modulating squamous cell carcinomas in response to UVB irradiation and passive cigarette smoke.
Selected Papers and Abstracts:
- Liu X, Zhao Y, Gao J, Pawlyk B, Starcher B, Spencer JA, Yanagisawa H, Zuo J, Li T. Elastic fiber homeostasis requires lysyl oxidase-like 1 protein. Nat Genet. 2004 36:178-82.
- Mychaliska GB, Officer SM, Heintz CK, Starcher BC, Pierce RA. Pulmonary elastin expression is decreased in the nitrofen-induced rat model of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg. 2004 ;39:666-71.
- Faury G, Pezet M, Knutsen RH, Boyle WA, Heximer SP, McLean SE, Minkes RK, Blumer KJ, Kovacs A, Kelly DP, Li DY, Starcher B, Mecham RP. Developmental adaptation of the mouse cardiovascular system to elastin haploinsufficiency. J. Clin. Invest. 2003: 1123: 1419-28.
- Ebjeirami WM, Yonter EO, Starcher BC . West JL. Enhancing mechanical properties of tissue-engineered constructs via lysyl oxidase crosslinking activity. J Biomed Mater Res. 2003 Sep 1;66A(3):513-21.
- Starcher B, Kuhn C. Combining histology and biochemical measurements of connective tissue components in small samples of lung: Application to bleomycin-induced fibrosis in the mouse. Exp Lung Res. 2003 Apr-May;29(3):179-94.
- Hornstra IK, Birge S, Starcher B, Bailey AJ, Mecham RP, Shapiro SD. Lysyl oxidase is required for vascular and diaphragmatic development in mice. J Biol Chem. 2003 Apr 18;278(16):14387-93.
- Ritty TM, Ditsios K, Starcher BC . Distribution of the elastic fiber and associated proteins in flexor tendon reflects function. Anat Rec. 2002 Dec 1;268(4):430-40.
- Hill CH, Mecham R, Starcher B. Fibrillin-2 defects impair elastic fiber assembly in a homocysteinemia chick model. J Nutr. 2002 Aug;132(8):2143-50.
- Yanagisawa H, Davis EC, Starcher BC, Ouchi T, Yanagisawa M, Richardson JA, Olson, EN. Fibulin-5 is an elastin-binding protein essential for elastic fiber development in vivo. Nature. 2002 Jan 10;415(6868):168-71.
- Starcher B . A ninhydrin based assay to quantitate the total protein content of tissue samples. Anal Biochem. 2001 May 1;292(1):125-9.