Surrogate Consent for Research
State & International Laws
Below are links to a select sampling of state and international laws or other legal resources on legally authorized representatives and surrogate consent for research. Not all such laws are listed. The list is provided for reference only. Some laws may have been amended or deleted since posting. Consult your local legal counsel for additional information.
- California Health & Safety Code sec. 24178 ("Human Experimentation," "Surrogate Informed Consent") (2009)
- Virginia Code Annotated sec. 32.1-162.18 ("Human Research," "Informed Consent") (2009)
- Quebec (Canada) Civil Code (see Title 2, Chapter 1, Division 1, Article 21 (2009)
- United Kingdom Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 1031, "Medicines for Human Use (Clinical Trials) Regulations 2004" (see Part 5, Schedule 1)
- European Union Directive 2001/20/CE (Good clinical practice in the conduct of clinical trials on medicinal products for human use) (2001) (see Articles 2(j), 3(2) and particularly 5)
State and international laws or other legal resources on legally authorized representatives and surrogate consent for research may be added from time to time. Please feel free to suggest laws or other legal materials not listed here.