Chhavi Chaudhary, MD

Chhavi Chaudhary, MD
General Psychiatry Resident Physician

Chhavi Chaudhary, MD, is a second-year resident in the General Psychiatry Residency Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler (UTHSCT). She earned her Doctor of Medicine degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston School of Medicine and is from Mission, Texas.

Q&A

What are your interests in your field? Why are you passionate about this topic? Why is it important?

My interests include child and adolescent psychiatry and university-age mental health. Working with children and adolescents has been a joyous and rewarding experience. I admire the resiliency, creativity, optimism and the neuroplasticity of a child’s brain. Advocating for child mental health is a passion of mine, as many children do not have the resources to be able to advocate for themselves. With children, we can intervene in the early developmental stages and the impact of such intervention may shape their lives and hopefully set them on a path of success.
A significant percentage of children do not receive care from a specialized mental healthcare provider. It is important for me to go into this field, as there is a huge demand for child and adolescent psychiatrists, and I want to contribute to bridging this gap.

What is your favorite thing about East Texas?

When I visited Tyler for my residency interview, I was in awe, seeing so much greenery in East Texas. It felt as if I was in a different state because I had never seen such dense, tall trees or experienced true fall weather in Texas. I love that I don’t have to leave the city to get fresh air and enjoy nature walks. Tyler is full of natural beauty and I love having my daily life be immersed in its greenery. My environment has inspired me to attempt gardening and become a planting enthusiast.

What is the most helpful advice you have received?

I came across this quote in college and I have carried it with me throughout the years, “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair – Shirley Chisholm.” To me, this means opportunities do not fall in our laps, they are chased and created by one’s own will.

Who has influenced you the most in life and why?

My parents have influenced me the most. It is because of their strength and sacrifice that I get to live out my dream every day.

What are your plans upon completion of your residency at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler? 

I love psychiatry! I want to do it all. I see myself in an academic career in which I work in both inpatient and outpatient units. I would like to work with a patient population that includes children, adults and college students.