Dr. Ji’s research team focuses on the physiology and pathophysiology of lung fluid homeostasis, including the transepithelial ion transport and edema fluid resolution. His group is supported by NIH for stem cell-mediated alveolar regeneration of injured lungs in 3D organoid and animal models. To date, Dr. Ji’s lab is combining multi-omics and machine learning algorithms to identify new endotypes, therapeutic targets, biomarkers, and microbiota for ARDS and sarcoidosis. ARDS is commonly seen in critically ill patients. For example, COVID-19 patients hospitalized in ICU have considerably high mortality.
Education and Training
University of Georgia at Athens, Postdoctoral fellow
University of Kent, Ph.D. of Life Science
Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine (China CDC), M.S. of Public Health.
Xinxiang Medical University, M.D. of Clinical Science
- BIOT 5131/5132: Critical reading
- BIOT 5222/5222L: Advanced Metabolism
- BIOT5310: Fundamentals of Biomedical Research Course
Research Interest & Grants
- Lung fluid homeostasis and edema fluid resolution regulated by fibrinolysis.
- Re-alveolarization of injured lungs regulated by stem cell niches.
- Identification of endotypes, biomarkers, and therapeutic targets for ARDS and sarcoidosis.
- Lung microbiota and dysbiosis of pulmonary diseases.
- 09/01/2017-05/14/2026: Novel paracrine mechanism for cell-based therapy of injured lungs. NIH 1R01HL134828-01A1. Principal Investigator (30% effort).
- Zhang M, Ali G, Komatsu S, Zhao RZ, Ji HL. Prkg2 regulates alveolar type 2-mediated re-alveolarization. Stem Cell Research and Therapy. 2022 March 10; 13:111. doi:10.1186/s13287-022-02793-4.
- Zhao R, Su Z, Komissarov AA, Yi G, Liu SL, Idell S, Matthay MA, Ji HL. Associations of D-dimer on admission and clinical features of COVID-19 patients: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. Frontiers in Immunology. 2021; 12:691249. DOI: 10.3389/fimmu.2021.691249. PMID: 32935113.
- Ali G, Zhang M, Zhao RZ, Komatsu S, Ikebe M, Zhou BY, Liang C, Jiang DH, Matthay MA, Ji HL. Urokinase niche for re-alveolarization of injured lung epithelial layer. Signal Transduction and Targeted Therapy. 2021; 6:97. DOI: 10.1038/s41392-021-00511-9. PMID: 33640905.
- Ji HL, Zhao RZ, Matalon S, Matthay MA. Elevated plasmin(ogen) as a common risk factor for COVID-19 susceptibility. Physiological Review. 2020; 100(3): 1065-1075. PMID: 32216698.
- Zhao RZ, Ali G, Nie HG, Chang YC, Bhattarai D, Su XF, Zhao XL, Matthay MA, Ji HL. Plasmin improves oedema blood-gas barrier by cleaving epithelial sodium channels. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2020 Jul;177(13):3091-3106. Doi: 10.1111/bph.15038. PMID: 32133621.
- Ji HL, Zhao RZ, Shetty S, Idell S, Matalon S. ENaC, a novel amiloride-inhibitible sodium channels. American Journal of Physiology- Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 2012; 303:L1013-26. PMID: 22983350. PMCID: PMC3532584.
- Link of main publications on the PubMed can be found: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.