Evelyn Chou, DO

Evelyn Chou, DO
Family Medicine Resident Physician

Evelyn Chou, DO, is a first-year resident in the Family Medicine Residency Program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler (UTHSCT). She earned her Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth – Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, and is from Tyler.

Questions:

What are your interests in your field? Why are you passionate about this topic? Why is it important?

I chose family medicine due to its broad spectrum of patient care. However, I am most passionate about women’s health and palliative care. Two very different things, but only family medicine could allow this dual interest. Women’s health is so important, especially with it becoming so politicized. I want to make sure my patients’ voices are still heard and their needs are still met. Palliative care is something that not everyone really understands or knows about, yet is such a crucial part of healthcare. No one likes to talk about dying, especially as physicians when we are taught to save lives, but I want to normalize the process and help patients and families understand the specialty. Accepting death is never easy, so I want to help make that difficult time easier.

What is your favorite part about East Texas so far?

Even though I (mostly) grew up in East Texas, it still surprises me! There is a perfect balance of nature and city. The rate of growth has been wonderful to witness, and I can’t wait to see what else will come to this area.

Who has influenced you the most in life?

My father, a fellow physician, has been the biggest influence in my life. Even though he never pressured me to pursue medicine, I saw the way he cared for and about his patients and I knew that medicine was the career I wanted to pursue. The doctor-patient relationship is so sacred, and I feel so honored to form these lifelong bonds with my own patients.

What are you plans upon completion of your residency at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler?

I plan to pursue a hospice and palliative care fellowship following residency. My dream is to practice outpatient family medicine and transition to full-time hospice and palliative care later in my career!

What else should we know about you?

I have a senior golden retriever named Mia. I love to bake and would love to master the art of patisserie. I am a huge Bachelor television franchise junkie.