- Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to the General Preventive Medicine Residency Program
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates prior to appointment
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a United States licensing jurisdiction in which they are in training
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program within an LCME-accredited medical school
- Institution does sponsor J1 Visas but not sponsor H1B or other Visas
Residents will be selected for The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler and all of its ACGME-accredited programs from among eligible applicants on the basis of residency program-related criteria such as their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. ACGME-accredited programs must not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected class.
Direct Patient Care
Residents must have completed training in an ACGME-accredited clinical year (12 months) with a minimum of 11 months of direct patient care. Direct patient care is the provision of preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions to patients.
International Medical Graduates
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada must successfully complete two consecutive years (24 months) in the same ACGME accredited clinical program involving direct patient care, which includes the provision of preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions to patients. This is a minimum eligibility requirement for consideration.
Virtual Application Packet
Click the link below to download the PDF documents in our Virtual Application Packet, including an “Acknowledgements” page you must print, sign and return to us as part of your application process.