Omer Chowdhury, DO

Dr. Omer Chowdhury, DO
Internal Medicine Resident Physician

Omer Chowdhury, DO, is a first-year resident in The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler’s Internal Medicine Residency Program. He earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine in Las Cruces, New Mexico. He is from Richardson, Texas.

Q&A

What are your interests in your field? Why are you passionate about this topic? Why is it important?

I chose to pursue internal medicine because it provides such a broad spectrum of patient care and the foundation needed to pursue so many different career paths. I find acute pathology in the hospital setting extremely intriguing and take great satisfaction in having the opportunity to take care of my patients throughout the duration of their hospital stay. Although my interest lies in hospital medicine, I appreciate having the opportunity to pursue subspecialties, research or transitioning to the outpatient setting in the future.

What is your favorite part of East Texas so far?

My favorite part about East Texas has to be the people! Everyone I have worked with has been absolutely amazing! There is a sense of community and hospitality present that is missing in bigger cities. Also, the food!

What is the most helpful advice you have received?

“There is no point in being anxious about the future; embrace the process and enjoy the journey.”

Who has influenced you the most in life and why?

My parents have been the biggest influence in my life. Their continued support has made my dream of pursuing a career in medicine possible. They taught me the importance of treating everyone with respect and I have carried that over to patient care. I owe everything to my parents.

What are your plans upon completion of your residency at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler? 

I hope to practice in a university medical institution in which I can participate in patient care and have the opportunity to teach future healthcare providers.