The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler (UTHSCT) is the only university academic medical center in Northeast Texas and is one of six academic medical centers in the University of Texas system. The Northeast Texas area spans just over 25,000 square miles and is also known as the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Region 4/5. The population of Northeast Texas is just over 1.5 million people, over half of whom live in a rural area.
UTHSCT offers four one-year, full-time postdoctoral fellowship positions, which typically begins September 1 and ends 12 months later. Each 2000-hour program is designed to provide comprehensive clinical and didactic experiences to support advanced professional practice and meet licensure requirements for psychologists in the state of Texas.
- One Clinical Health Psychology Fellow will receive specialized training in Clinical Health psychology, focusing on the biopsychosocial approach to evaluation, treatment, and consultation in interdisciplinary medical settings
- One generalist Clinical Psychology Fellow will focus on evidence-based mental health evaluation, treatment, and consultation, among children, adolescents, and adults in interdisciplinary medical settings across the UT system.
- Two Child Clinical Psychology Fellows will join the Child Abuse and Training Service Program designed to address the needs of abused children by training future members of the workforce from the disciplines of psychology, pediatrics, psychiatry, social work, nursing, and counseling. Training will be provided through didactics and through evidence-based screening, assessment, and treatment to children and families. One entry-level postdoctoral fellowship and one advanced postdoctoral fellowship is available.
- All Fellows will have the opportunity to mentor and provide supervision to doctoral psychology interns, participate in didactics with family medicine and psychiatry residents, and present didactic lectures during the academic year.
- Research and scholarly activity opportunities are available in all fellowship programs.
UTHSCT Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Programs are not accredited by the American Psychological Association.
APPIC Membership Status
UTHSCT Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Programs are a member of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers.