Sarah Tison Malon, MPH

Sarah Tison Malone, MPH
Master of Public Health graduate

Sarah Tison Malone is an alumna of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler (UTHSCT) and received her Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in May 2019 alongside the first class of MPH graduates. Sarah has resided in East Texas since 2005, after earning her Bachelor of Science from Utah State University in sociology, minoring in organizational communication. She currently works for UTHSCT.

Sarah serves on:

• The American Cancer Society Volunteer Leadership Council of Smith County
  • The Smith County Food Security Council
  • The East Texas Human Needs Network
  • The Student Health Advisory Council for Lindale Independent School District.

She has continued to be a dedicated public health advocate, striving to prevent health disparities in her region by educating community members. Sarah firmly believes that education and training improve public health across the nation.

What made you decide to attend The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler?

Opportunity. I am the first member of my family to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, so to attend graduate school seemed far-fetched. During my undergraduate work, the desire and ambition for graduate school never crossed my mind. When UTHSCT started the MPH program, I thought to myself, how could I, someone who barely met the GPA requirements for my undergrad, get accepted into graduate school? Thankfully, I didn’t allow fear to sway my decision to apply for the program. When this opportunity presented itself, I put my fear aside, held on tight and went after it!

What are your interests in your field?

I have a passion for serving others, but most importantly, serving my family. During my schooling, I found a passion which led to my current area of focus for my practicum and capstone projects: childhood wellness and nutrition. During my capstone project, I learned about the “Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child” model that explains how every child in school deserves to be healthy, safe, engaged, supported and challenged; outcomes that schools, teachers, health professionals, families and communities value. I strive daily to provide this to my family, as well as the families I serve, because I feel everyone, (students, parents, families) deserve to be healthy, safe, engaged, supported and challenged. This challenges us all to be healthier individuals, families and communities, together.

What is your favorite part about East Texas?

My favorite part about East Texas is, this is where I met my husband as well as where we have raised our two boys, Christian and Jack.

What is the most helpful advice you’ve ever received?

Your friends will bring you up or they’ll bring you down. Thankfully, I’ve always had good friends who have encouraged me to be the best version of myself.

Who has influenced you the most in life?

My Mom. She has always modeled for me and my four siblings: hard work, dedication, self-sacrifice, unconditional love and that the greatest work you will do is within the walls of your home.

What are you doing now that you have completed your program at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler?

I’m currently working in the Department of Community Health at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler as an Outreach Education Coordinator for the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas’s Maternal Smoking Cessation grant.