Currently, we are not accepting applications for visiting students due to COVID-19.
Please contact the appropriate program coordinator for more information
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler has an affiliation with University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston and University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. Third-year students may elect to do their rotations here in Northeast Texas. Working alongside our residents and attending physicians is a great way for students to get a firsthand view at the medical education programs offered by the health system.
The goal of medical school affiliations is to provide an opportunity for recruitment to our residency programs. UTHSCT wants to provide the region with primary care physicians, and these are two successful programs that can attract medical students to be future residents in one of seven residency programs offered in Northeast Texas.
We welcome inquiries from students at other US medical schools as well. We offer audition rotations in our programs with an Affiliation and Program Agreement in place.
We currently have students rotate through the following programs:
- Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Emergency Medicine
Please contact the Department of Undergraduate Medical Education to seek advice on how to rotate through one of our residency programs.
Medical students who are interested in participating in our programs can apply online. See instructions below.
Visiting Medical Students
Medical students from other U.S. institutions in their final year of medical school may apply to take an elective in select programs at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS). Access to VSAS is granted by your home school.
- Must be currently enrolled in a U.S. Medical School and be in the FINAL Year of Medical School. If you are a student at an affiliated school, you must be in your final year of medical school to qualify for enrollment in an elective course at UTHCT. You are ineligible if you are not in your final year or have finished medical school
- UTHCT does not offer off block elective rotations. No exceptions will be made
- Visiting students should not contact the various programs or departments directly
- Visiting students should not contact the coordinators by direct email unless otherwise stated
- Some departments may have additional specific requirements
- Applications will not be considered if required documents are missing. The application will be noted as ineligible
- All documents must be uploaded to VSAS. We will not accept any documents that are faxed or emailed
- All requirements must be completed before the application will be considered
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Medical Education does not offer or coordinate observerships or shadowing opportunities.
Visiting Medical Students from Non-U.S. Medical Schools
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler does not currently offer visiting rotations to Non- U.S Medical Schools.
Visiting Student Eligibility Requirements for both you and your school to complete via the VSAS verification form:
- Up to date Resume/CV
- Current Photo
- Have a passing score on the USMLE STEP 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1 exam
- Copy of Transcripts
- Letter of Good Standing – Must be in good academic standing and provide a letter from home institution
- Be covered by malpractice insurance
- Immunization Form
- Security Clearance Form
Once application is complete, notification of approval with an offer will be sent via VSAS. You will have ONE week to accept or decline the offer before it expires
Students may cancel or reschedule up to 2 electives without penalty. A student will forfeit all future electives if they:
- Cancel an elective within 30 days of the start date.
- Cancel or reschedule a 4th elective without prior approval of the Office of Undergraduate and Undergraduate Medical Education
- Fail to report to their scheduled elective
Click the links below to view the description for each elective.