Visiting Medical Students for Elective/Audition Rotations
Thank you for your interest in a 4th year visiting student rotation here at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler. 2024/2025 catalog will begin accepting applications April 1, 2024.
Please see information below:
Medical students from other U.S. institutions in their final year of medical school may apply to take an elective in select programs at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler through the link below:
Access to VSLO is granted by your home school.
- Must be currently enrolled in a U.S. Medical School and be in the FINAL Year of Medical School. If you are a student at an affiliated school, you must be in your final year of medical school to qualify for enrollment in an elective course at UTHCT. You are ineligible if you are not in your final year or have finished medical school.
- UTHCT does not offer off block elective rotations. No exceptions will be made.
- Visiting students should not contact the various programs or departments directly.
- Visiting students should not contact the coordinators by direct email unless otherwise stated.
- Some departments may have additional specific requirements.
- Applications will not be considered if required documents are missing. The application will be noted as ineligible.
- All documents must be uploaded to VSLO. We will not accept any documents that are faxed or emailed unless otherwise directed.
- All requirements must be completed before the application will be considered.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Medical Education does not offer or coordinate observerships or shadowing opportunities.
Visiting Medical Students from Non-U.S. Medical Schools
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler does not currently offer visiting rotations to Non- U.S Medical Schools.
Visiting Student Eligibility Requirements for both you and your school to complete via the VSLO verification form:
- Up to date Resume/CV
- Current Photo
- Have a passing score on the USMLE STEP 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1 exam.
- Copy of Transcripts
- Letter of Good Standing – Must be in good academic standing and provide a letter from home institution.
- Be covered by malpractice insurance.
- AMMC Immunization Form
Once application is complete, notification of approval with an offer will be sent via VSLO. You will have ONE week to accept or decline the offer before it expires.
Students may cancel or reschedule up to 2 electives without penalty. A student will forfeit all future electives if they:
- Cancel an elective within 30 days of the start date.
- Cancel or reschedule a 4th elective without prior approval of the
- Graduate and Undergraduate Medical Education Departments
- Fail to report to their scheduled elective.